During a writing workshop led by prominent writing instructor and author, Jack E. Appleman, APR, attendees participated in challenging writing exercises and were even able to submit copy for Jack’s real time review. Here are a few takeaways from the event:
Always be newsy:
○ Recognize your challenges in breaking through and getting the media to write about your story.
○ Deliver news in everything you write–headlines, subheads, leads, etc.
Tap each journalist’s newsy button:
○ Review their previous articles to see what they consider newsy.
○ Write headlines and leads that convey the news on their terms.
Crafting newsy subject lines:
○ Keep it 75 characters or less.
○ Don’t be too outrageous.
○ Mirror the journalist’s style when possible.
○ Think big-picture news value.
PR writing is a learning skill:
○ Jack has always believed PR writing is a learned skill that communicators can perfect with time. He even wrote two books, including 10 Steps to Successful Business Writing (2nd edition).
Jack’s value-added writing coaching program:
○ 60-minute virtual consultation
○ 19 5-minute self-study writing tutorials
○ Book: 10 Steps to Successful Business Writing (2nd edition)
○ OCPRSA members – $189 / others – $239 (valued at $350)
See HERE for a recording of Jack’s presentation.
For questions about Jack’s group webinars and writing coaching, please reach out to him at firstname.lastname@example.org.